The Links, Incorporated established the Health and Human Services facet in response to the chronic health disparities that persist in black communities and result in the decreased life expectancy of African Americans and other people of African ancestry. The goal of HHS is to promote and facilitate programs that support the maintenance of good health and the elimination of chronic health disparities in communities of color through education, health advocacy, and optimal utilization of health resources. Community education about health risks is crucial and The Links, Incorporated plays a significant role in providing it.
- Provided ongoing support to Bethlehem Baptist Church Family Shelter by presenting monthly speakers, workshops and lunch for shelter residents. Topics included finances, health and wellness, housing, mental health support, and educational support.
- Donated hygiene bags, dental kits, socks, toys and gift cards to the BBC Family Shelter
- Partnered with Raising Girls, Inc and Delta Sigma Theta, Inc and helped fabricate hygiene bags for homeless and at risk teens in the Tacoma area
- Donated blankets, gas cards, hygiene bags, dental kits, and diapers to the Power of Two, Inc serving the homeless population in the South Puget Sound
- Partnered with Ebony Nurses to provide blood pressure screenings
- Provided ongoing timely health information to our chapter members
- Supported NAMI WALKS to help raise mental health awareness in the African American community
- Health and Wellness Expo, Date TBA
- Women’s Wellness Workshop, Date TBA