The goal of The Arts facet is to increase and expand activity, elevate our programs through arts integration, and effectively create an arts renaissance within our organization and programmatic efforts.
Links chapters partner with museums, symphonies, art councils, educational institutions and corporations to support art programs, especially where there is a focus on artist of color. Links are creating and supporting opportunities for educating minority youth in the arts, and presenting and supporting performances by youth and accomplished professional artists in a diversity of disciplines.
- Art Instruction at Prayer Tower Christian Academy
- Drawing of healthy plates; healthy eating at Tacoma Public Schools, Bryant Montessori School – partnered with Health and Humans Services.
- Sponsored an art teacher to provide visual arts lessons. Maintained weekly visual art projects and study of famous artists and their works.
- Students practiced oral recitations to extend the performing-arts activities (oral recitations, poetry reading, choral reading, Black History skit, oral dramatic short readings, and cause and effect discussions.)
- Made and studied the art history of African bracelets – partnered with International Trends and Services and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated.
- Students participated in Wood working – partnered with Services to Youth and Home Depot.
- Trained students in performing art. A culminating dance performance was tastefully and beautifully choreographed, and the students responded to the music in rhythm. Partnered with Tacoma Public Schools, School of the Arts.
2016 – 2017 Program Activities
- Classics through the Ages (CTA) – Links Signature Art Program – The CTA student under the oversight of the Master Artist will provide 3 lessons to Tacoma Public School elementary age students. Partnership with Tacoma Public School, School of the Arts and a Master Artist.
- In collaboration with the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM), the facet chair and CTA student will serve on the ad-hoc citizens committee for the 30 Americans exhibit, an art exhibit featuring the most influential African American artist of our time www.tacomaartmuseum.org/exhibit/30americans
- The Tacoma (WA) and Portland (OR) Chapters of the Links, Incorporated will be the official sponsors of the 30 American’s free community festival on January 8, 2017.
- The Arts facet will collaborate with the Portland (OR) Chapter of the Links, Incorporated. Tacoma’s CTA student and the Master Artist will instruct students in Portland, OR.
- The CTA student and Master Artist will close out the year by staging an open gallery presentation during the Tacoma (WA) Chapter’s 50th Gala Celebration and Spring Fling Annual Fund Raiser on April 29, 2017.
The Arts Facet will focus on the therapeutic impact that art has upon our current CTA student’s mental health. The CTA student under the oversight of the Master Artist will provide 3 lessons to Tacoma Public School elementary age students. The classroom will consist of mainstream students and students with mental health disorders and or diagnoses. The lesson will show the students how to express their inner feelings, hopes, and desires through art. They will learn basic art principals and discover their “inner artist”.
The Arts Facet will collaborate with the Portland, OR. Chapter of the Links, Inc. Tacoma’s CTA student, and Master Artist will instruct students in Portland, OR.
The Arts Facet CTA student and Master Artist, will stage a closed gallery presentation to the chapter at its 50th Anniversary Luncheon on October 23, 2016. The CTA student and Master Artist will close out the year by staging an open gallery presentation on April 29, 2017, at the chapter’s 50th Gala Celebration and Spring Fling Annual Fund Raiser.
The Arts Facet will collaborate with the Tacoma Art Museum (TAM). The facet chair and CTA student will serve on the ad-hoc citizens committee for 30 American’s.
The Arts Facet will take the lead on chapter endorsement of 30 American’s. The Arts Facet has recruited the financial sponsorship for 30 American’s from the Tacoma, WA. and Portland, OR. Links chapters. The Tacoma and Portland chapters will be official sponsors of the 30 American’s Free Community Festival on January 8, 2017.
Signatures Arts Programs:
Classics Through the Ages. Chapters assign a gifted art student to a master level mentor. Students are supported through funding of advanced training, instruction classes and workshops. Student artist commit to performing or exhibiting at no less than two events each year, and to mentoring peers unfamiliar with their discipline. The programs are awarded Area Conference and National Assembly awards.
National Poster Contest:
Project Walking Feet: Make Health a Habit! Poster Art Contest was created in 1995 in conjunction with The Links, Incorporated’s National Walk-a-Thon. The Healthy, Active and Wise initiative serves to broaden our health message, align with Health and Human Service facet and expand our health message to include a wide spectrum of healthy life choices.
The contest is divided into four grade categories, monetary awards are given to local, area and national award winners.