“Empowering People: Transforming Lives!”
The goal of the National Trends and Services facet is to increase the number of sustainable and measurable programs, increase collaborative partnerships, and extend our existing initiatives to include communities with the greatest need.
These programs served as a catalyst for change promoting individual and community empowerment.
- Michael P. Anderson (MPA) Memorial Aerospace Program
- This STEM-based aerospace program guided students to research facts about human space travel and about their special guest, former NASA astronaut Joan Higginbotham. Students were mentored by innovators currently active in aeronautics, aviation, science, as well as other critical disciplines
- Students and parent enjoyed special events at the Museum of Flight and Pacific Science Center
- Wallet Wise Program:
- Based on the financial literacy platform of Ally Financial, this program served as the catalyst for the chapter sponsored Family Math Nights
- Family Math Nights were conducted in a family friendly, fun-filled environment at a local private Christian school in Tacoma in partnership with Services to Youth facet
- During Family Math Nights, youth and families improved basic math skills by competitively solving math problems
- By employing a family-centered approach, NTS provided effective training in and assisted families with creating household budgets
- Legislative Issues & Voter Education
- Nationally, this committee’s major emphasis is on an advocacy agenda and collaboration with the Congressional Black Caucus.
- August 2016 – chapter appointed a Voter Education Czar who spearheads the chapter voter education responsibilities under the auspices of the NTS facet
- August – September 2016 – chapter completed Voter Education/Registration Encouragement Drive which involved contacting and ensuring our 2014-2016 scholarship recipients had access to voter education and registration information prior to state deadlines.
- October 2016 – chapter completed voter registration drive in collaboration with Allen AME Church in Tacoma
- October 2016 – chapter conducted Q/A session with two local political candidates, one running for U.S. Representative, 10th Congressional District and one running for Pierce County Superior Court Judge, Position No. 8
- October 2016 – encouraged the viewing of the powerful documentary, “13TH”
- October 2016 – actively supporting “Our Votes Matter, Fighting for Democracy” campaign in conjunction with the NAACP