The International Trends and Services facet provides services and delivers transformational programs to people of African ancestry globally so that they may have a better quality of life. Programs are designed and developed to service educational, health, and cultural needs and to help people emerge from poverty. A primary objective of our international work is to enrich the lives of women and their families.
Since the International Trends and Services Facet was formed in 1970, The Links, Incorporated has demonstrated its commitment to enriching and sustaining the cultural and economic survival of people of African ancestry, through friendship and service.
- 66% of Haitians living in urban settings do not have access to improved sanitation and toilets, which has resulted in one of the most virulent cholera epidemics in the world and high rates of childhood diarrheal incidence. In 2022, through the “Links Help for Humanity – Toilets for Haiti”, ITS was able to support efforts to aid in addressing this disparity by providing two toilets to Haiti through the Toilets for Haiti project.
- I Can Fly International Butterfly House High School – in collaboration with the Tacoma Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. we learned of the need to sponsor the education of young girls located in Machakos, Kenya. ITS, for the third year in a row, has been able to sponsor the education of Elizabeth Weisko. Support not only includes tuition, but also her meals, boarding fees, basic medical care, and enrichment activities for the school year.
- In 2022 ITS formed a collaboration with Days for Girls International. This organization provides menstrual care and education that shatter stigma and limitations for women and girls globally. Through volunteers, Days for Girls makes menstrual kits for girls worldwide. As a result of our partnership, we received a donation of sixty (60) re-useable menstrual kits to be shipped to the girls at I Can Fly International Butterfly House School. Along with this ITS included affirmation cards to encourage the spirit of the girls and staff at the school.
- After seeing the continued growth and success of the I Can Fly International Program through their annual “Coming to America” live streaming from Kenya, in 2023 ITS decided to sponsor a second student’s education (Joysheryl Atieno).
- International Trends and Services collaborated with Services to Youth Facet as the focal in our Umbrella Program with the Power of Two organization. This organization focuses on positively impacting youth and families affected by adversities by restoring hope and dignity. In 2002, this umbrella program met at First United Methodist Church to support these families. ITS participated by providing winter hats and gloves for these families.
- In 2023 ITS collaborated a second time with Services to Youth and Coffee Oasis Youth Shelter located in Bremerton, Washington. This organization focuses on our youth. ITS was able to support these efforts by providing much-needed socks, not only for the youth but for their families.
- Continued collaboration with I Can Fly International Butterfly House School to support the education of Elizabeth Weisko and Joysheryl Atieno.
- Consider a collaboration with the Scholarship Committee
- Consider what ITS can do in support of Jamaica and or Haiti